Winter is coming …
The dreaded winter cold and flu season seems to have a hit us early, with many people already having suffered with coughs and colds here in Melbourne. However there are some things that you can do to minimize your chances of picking up the dreaded lurgi.
2020 saw the number of cases of influenza drop to an all time low, partly due to increased social distancing, hand hygiene and school closures .
However with more of us out and about 2021 cases are increasing, so it’s as important as ever to take similar precautions to last year to minimize transmission of germs.
Below are some hot tips for the cold weather
- Practicing good hygiene habits – wash hands thoroughly, avoid touching your mouth, eyes or face, dispose of used tissues in a closed bin, and ensure you sneeze or cough into the crook of your elbow or a tissue.
- Stay home if you are sick. This seems like an obvious one but a study at the end of 2020 in the midst of a pandemic 1 in 14 employees said they would still go to work if they were displaying cold and flu symptoms. Its very important to stay home when you are displaying any symptoms.
- Stay hydrated. It sounds so simple, but its importance is sometimes underestimated. Drinking plenty of water it helps cells to do their job and keep you healthy, as well as aiding in the removal of toxins from the body.
- Ensure you’re eating a balanced diet. This is as simple as eating five serves of fruit and vegetables daily and including a variety of whole grains, healthy fats and protein at each meal. Following these basic guidelines helps ensure you receive a range of essential vitamins and minerals to support your immune system.
- Reducing stress. Too much stress increases the hormone cortisol, which can suppress the immune system. Stress reduction techniques such as meditation, mindfulness, yoga, or other activities you enjoy can have a positive impact on your immune system
In addition to the above a great way to help boost your immunity and prevent picking up germs is to add some supplements int your diet. Bioceuticals is an excellent brand consisting of high quality over the counter and practitioner only nutritional and therapeutic supplements from a proudly Australian owned company. They have a range of different supplements from baby biotics though to joint and cartilage protection as we age. They also stock a very impressive list of supplement to help boost your immunity this winter.
A common supplement we tend to go for when winter approaches is vitamin C which is great, there is further research to suggest that a Zinc and Vitamin D also contribute to a more comprehensive immune support.
furthermore did you know that a huge proportion of your immune system is in your gut? There is a very close link and relationship that starts in the gut and can dictate how your immunity functions. Therefore one of the first supplements that are suggested for your immune health is interestingly a probiotic.
So now that you have all the hot tips for a cold winter you are good to go.
At The Osteopathic Clinic we stock many Bioceuticals products, make sure to ask us about them next time you are in.